Friday, January 28, 2011

TWO PARENTS: DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES, SAME GOAL. "TO RAISE THEIR CHILDREN FOR THE LORD"

Today I was thinking of my parents- I mean I always think about my parents, but today I was especially thinking about them. What makes them tick, why they are the way they are, why they disciplined my brother and me the way they did, why they are so stubborn sometimes, why they are so different sometimes, why they are so unique in their own individual way, and why they wanted my brother and me to know Christ growing up.

First off, I will start off with how different they are. Dad loves his mornings, I would say. Growing up, he always got up early, went to the coffee shop before we got up (probably because he knew that was his only time of sanity without anyone around). Dad is a goal oriented person. Very organized. Very driven. Firm. Thoughtful. Analytical. Man of few words (until something needed to be said). Said what he meant and meant what he said. Hard worker. Responsible. Great teacher. Sacrificer. Reader (dad always read to us and still reads to the grandkids all the time).

Before Dad had his back surgery in 93', he was the one that taught me how to do a cartwheel. He was the one that would climb in the tree with Trevor and I. He was the one that taught me how to throw a football and baseball and how to play basketball. He even played some volleyball too. He enjoyed staying active. But, after his surgery, he was forbidden to do lots of those things. We were sad but fully understood. Don't get me wrong... Dad didn't always follow the doctor's orders- and still doesn't! :) But Dad is ALWAYS a go-getter. If there is something that needs to get done, he will get it done by all means.

Dad would stay up late with me to work on scholarships- even if that meant he had to stay up till 1 in the morning and still get up at 5:00 or 5:30 the next day. He sacrificed his time and sleep to help me out. He showed me what it meant to really care and truly love me so much through that. Dad was always one to stay up with us and help us with whatever homework no matter how tired he was. I do not ever remember Dad ever once complaining about how tired he may have been or how sore he may be. He never complained once! (I wish I would have learned that a little better).

Mom- she is a go-getter as well. There was always something to be done in the house. Whether it be cleaning, cooking, laundry, helping another family member out, helping Dad in the field or with the cows, cleaning houses, working or whatever it may be... she was never idle. Mom was a hard worker. Firm- but you knew she meant it if she was firm. Expressive. Vocal. Compassionate. Merciful. Queasy (when she saw any type of blood- when I busted my head open working out in high school, she almost passed out). Full of life and vigor.

Mom was the type of person that if there needed to be a fundraiser for my volleyball team, she coordinate it. She loved being in charge and was very very good at it. She is also pretty stubborn at times. When she broke her arm, she still about her daily routine (with a cast on). I remember Trevor needing a hair cut and she tried to cut it but then had to teach me how to cut hair at that point. :)

Over the years, I have developed more and more of a love for them. I am quite sure of the reason why: because I am a mother of my own now with three small children and have learned that being a parent is not easy. Now... who ever said it was??? I don't know. Perhaps I had this dumb thing in the back of my head that it wouldn't be that hard long before I ever was pregnant. Or, perhaps it was because I thought my parents were way too hard on me growing up. Unbeknownst to me at the time, they were only disciplining me because they loved me and wanted what was best for me. They wanted me to grow up loving the Lord Jesus Christ and having a personal relationship with Him.

Of course, why wouldn't have I realized that when I was a teenager? Ha ha ha. I have learned a lot from them though. I have learned that patience is hard to be consistent with (thank you Dad and Mom for having lots of patience with me). Thank you both for being consistent in your discipline. Thank you for loving me through and through. I have learned that there will inevitably be valley's in life and that with the help of others and strong parents, you can make it.

Growing up taught me a lot of lessons. Hard work is something to always strive for. When you have started a project, finish it right away. Mom, I cannot thank you enough for teaching me how to clean, do laundry and cook from a young age. Thank you for teaching me responsibilities that, I believe, all too many young adults do not have a clue how to do. Dad, thank you for the sacrifices you made to help me on the route to higher education. Thank you for enforcing good education upon me.

Thank you for the example of what great godly parents should be. Now of course, I didn't see that till I was a parent of my own, but thank you so much. Dad and Mom were strict parents but they had a reason behind it. I hope and pray that I will be half as good as a parent as they were to me. They endured a lot of CRAP from me as a teenager. I don't have a clue how they didn't lose their minds sometimes. But I am grateful for all they did.

Overall, Dad and Mom are full of compassion and know what it truly means to make sacrifices in life. They taught me that money does not buy you happiness and to be responsible with the money you do have. Dad even sat down with A.J. and I before we were married and helped us write up a budget. Dad's always thinking realistically. They have made so many trips back and forth to Omaha from Missouri to help out with our baby's being born and when I was on bed rest and when Layla was in the NICU. If that isn't an example of true sacrifice and love, I don't know what is.

Their love for each other was often evident. When Dad would come home from work, Mom would always go up to him and give him a big hug and kiss. I appreciated that and still do. I remember a few times when Dad would get mom a dozen roses... not often but when he did it was very, very special. He always got Mom a card for her birthday and their anniversary. I love the way they look at each other in their eyes. They are special. They always will be.

Parenting is not easy, as I stated previously. They did their very best and I am grateful to still have a close relationship with them. I hope that over the years, I will appreciate and love them even more. I am sure that my parents often thought of the Bible verse:

"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:5-7

When I feel that I am failing as a parent or feel frustrated and distraught, I refocus and think about my parents and all they endured. They made it and so can I, but most of all, with the help of my Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment